Bad Feminist Book review


I have to admit, I've been in a little bit of a reading slump in February. I mean to be honest, February is the most hateful month of the year, lol, yes my birthday is tomorrow and ageing is depressing as hell and I'm trying not to let it get to me that turning 25 in a pandemic sucks. 

Anyways, back to reading. The year started off well, I read three books in January and then chose to read Bonds of Brass and that derailed me completely... and now it's just lying in my ebooks unfinished, giving me anxiety. But I read this at least, even though it's taken like four weeks which can be pretty good for me but also terrible because I do still posses the ability to finish reading books in a week. I just rarely do that these days, I'm easily a distracted person, there is soooo much stuff on the internet ya know?


Okay, back to Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay. I've had this book for ages, and it's been in my bookcase for years just lying there gathering dust, which yes is admittedly depressing but I'm busy with other stuff sometimes that I forget, mainly being a mess, but I did get to it finally and my goal this year is to buy less new books and read the ones I have left neglected in my shelves here at home. 


This is an essay collection about Gay's life, her thoughts about race, feminism, rape culture and even pop culture.


❂This book is actually very easy to read, and oh boy do I appreciate a book that’s not condescending in its difficult descriptions and sentences or trying to sound really smart but is actually very hard to follow. We all know those books, they are annoying!

❂It's very funny while definitely also very moving and deeply troubling and full of contradictions. I feel it is very honest, to a fault even, and that Gay really tries to showcase all her own shortcomings as a way of almost leading by example, saying that we’re not all perfect, but that it is important that we try and learn and to be critical of the things around us as well as ourselves. That's how we move forward.

❂I feel it’s a very positive book despite talking about very heavy subjects at times. I like that it is that though and how it oftentimes talks about how we are similar, more similar than we are different and how that is something good and beautiful.

❂It is both a really good book to showcase how things have progressed since it was written but also how goddamn slow things really move which yes is so depressing and it makes me angry. But I try and focus on the positives, it's only that way I don't sink through the ground in despair. 

I added more of Gay to my reading list after reading this though. I find that I miss her voice now that I've put this book back on my shelf. 

0 kommentarer