Those who wish me dead movie review

It feels great to welcome Angelina Jolie back to my screen this year. I am super hyped to see her in The Eternals later this year if it will premiere at all (cinemas please open up, pandemic fuck off) and the whole cast for that film has made me super hype for sure.

Angelina can do it all, I am convinced of this but it's cool to see her in a role like this, rowdy, dirty, cool, swearing and swinging an axe with swag. Tyler Sheridan the director, ahh I remember him back from his days on Sons of Anarchy, has had a fairly solid track record when it comes to the films he has written and directed the last few years. I haven't seen Hell or High water and while I am less of a fan than probably most of the first Sicario film I do think it is a stunning one. Wind River is the first film he directed and I thought it was pretty good, chilling and uncomfortable but a solid film for it to be the first time behind the camera and I love how he incorporated the landscape of it and made it into its own character of the film. I'm less of a fan of violence against women and the murder that takes place but I am willing to overlook it because the film isn't just your standard cardboard cut out of raped and murdered woman. (Though I think there is an important debate to be had today about the violence shown towards women on screen in films and tv shows). 

When it comes to Those who wish me dead I had kind of expected more for some reason. It's not a bad film by any shot of the imagination, it's solid. I guess I had kind of just expected to adore Jolie's character in it more. It's interesting because no character is bad in this, but I feel the focus of the characters shift away at times and they do feel a little thin. Or maybe not even thin, just that they could have done with more screentime overall to expand on them more. Ethan and Allison played by Jon Bernthnal and Medina Senghore are great which I really did not expect. Especially not that Allison would be the absolute best one, I love that it came out of nowhere and I do love a badass woman with a rifle taking down dicks and assholes left and right. Finn Little who plays Connor is very good as well and I did really like how he played off Jolie's character. There are some tense scenes but I did find that nothing was that unexpected in it and I just didn't watch it for the spectacle, which means I would have appreciated the film some more if all characters hadn't been so isolated and had shared some more scenes together. 

I am giving it a solid 3 stars, which is a recommendation after all. 


★★★

0 kommentarer