The Wilds, season 1 thoughts


I listened to the Pilot TV podcast when this show came out in December. It's run by Empire Film magazine and it's a goofy little podcast that I enjoy having as company while I am on my many daily dog walks in the woods. They weren't totally on board with this show, not because it doesn't look nice, because it does. Amazon has given them a fairly high budget I think, but because they weren't really the target audience for the show, which is fair. Even I am probably too old for this show now. It's a hard one to realise but 17 year old's issues are not totally relatable to me these days.

But I did quite enjoy this show to be honest and I must say that seeing a show completed dedicated to its main cast that are all girls is highly unusual. So yes that premise really did hook me in. And then there is  a plane accident and all girls end up stranded on a deserted island, forced to fight for their lives to survive. Yes please I am all for that.

For a further read, there shall be spoilers. 


↓↓


I really did like that set up actually, and episode 1 ends with questions because obviously there is something else going on. As the story progresses it becomes a little clearer but even now at the end I keep thinking 'wait what was the point of the experiment they were doing'. And yeah I hated the whole 'feminist, we don't need men to survive bs' that they were preaching. Like yes obviously men suck most of the time hehe, but it was just soooo unnecessary, like I didn't need that part of the show, like at all. I would have liked this all a hell of a lot more if it was just these teenagers stranded on an island for 20 days forced to survive and then they would get to go home. The whole island experience is just sooo traumatic and uncomfortable and all I could think at time was god these peeps need some sunscreen and a shower (kudos to the makeup department), and you know also, get to go home to their parents and civilisation.

But adding the whole experiment in just felt annoying and tiring and so cruel, and I didn't want that at all. The time the show spent away from the island and on the people running the whole show was boring, I took up my phone and doom scrolled on twitter through those scenes.

But okay, 8 girls on an island, all of them very different from each other, all of them carrying issues and traumas from their own lives. Yeah, it's pretty fascinating. Like okay, they were kind of dabbling in clichés, the angry girl, the bookish girl, the very sexual promiscuous girl, the nerd, the sport fanatic, but I do feel it was a little bit more nuanced than that when you got their backstories and how they were all bouncing off each other and dealing with everything that was happening, that I didn't care that much that they kind of went 'you get a trauma, and you get a trauma' as well as the stereotypes.

My only maybe real issue with the show was Leah's character. Nothing against her, the actor was killing it for sure, just her issues or trauma were the least relatable thing ever. And I'm not trying to diminish her suffering, but she fell in love with a man that was way older than her, lied about her age and then became depressed and obsessed with him. I was like nope, not my jam. Then on the island she goes kind of insane, which poses the question of whether it's the extreme conditions that triggered her kind of psychosis and paranoia or if she actually had a precious untreated disorder like bipolar or borderline disorder or something, which obviously makes her whole life before the island much more complicated. That thing isn't answered of course, and all the time spent on her past was just ugh to me. 

But I liked all of the characters to be fair, I do love it when a show manages to do that, where you're like yep most of these people are pretty dope and I feel for them all. Also I like when there is queer representation as you all probably know and Shelby and Toni were sweet.

There is a lot going on in this show but for a 10 episode run it was worth my time as I am in constant need of shows that shut my brain off, this did the trick, thank you!


0 kommentarer