To all the boys I've loved before, always and forever review

I was a little apprehensive about this film, just because I absolutely love the first film and the second one kind of let me down because it just wasn't very good. I wanted this to be good, I wanted Lara Jean to get to end her story on a high and go on into the ether of films to be seen by future young people that have their flights get cancelled and have to spend a night alone in a hotel room, not sure when they will get home, feeling lost and alone. Okay, that was what happened to me and why I love the first film because it reminds me of comfort and it made me laugh when I was very sad. But for the ones not being unlucky with flying, I hope they'll find these movies and get lost in them and enjoy the beauty and silliness of high school romance. 


Anyway,


this film lived up to my expectations for sure. I got all the fuzzy excited feelings, I cried, I laughed I rolled my eyes and my heart tugged painfully in my chest at the more serious but soft moments this one contained. It really was a worthy ending for Lara Jean, and for Peter and for Lara Jean and Peter together. Lana Condor and  Noah Centineo really has amazing chemistry together and it's so easy to get lost in their loving stares and cute kisses and tickles. It surprised me that they gave Peter even more depth by straying a little from the main story to focus some more on him and his issues but even so it's definitely still very much Lara Jean's story. I loved how this one focused on friendship a lot and sisterhood, beautiful messages which also gives a lot more room for the side characters to grow too. I particularly enjoy Chris and Trevor's relationship and the whole jock goes for 'less popular girl' trope is just a winner. 

But this one also focuses a lot on Lara Jean and her journey to try and find out who she is without Peter, which can definitely be scary and is a real solid fear many of us who go into relationships do have, and that definitely made the whole film feel much more serious than the previous ones, as well as rooting the fairytale romance in reality. I loved the dreams she had of the future and how those changed the more she figured out what she actually wanted. Knowing that can be so hard sometimes. 

As always, it gets a little angsty, but it has some real beautiful moments throughout and the whole film just has so much goddamn heart that it's hard not to be swept away. The ending might be obvious, I find that it didn't matter anyway, I just wanted to inhabit this very aesthetically, instagram feed pleasing world for a little longer and watch two young people love each other throughout their obstacles. Sometimes that's all you need.






0 kommentarer