I care a lot movie review

This is a film about horrible people being horrible to nice people and taking advantage of a broken system. This could easily not be my jam, it totally is somehow.

Marla Grayson, a crooked, sneaky badass legal guardian who drains the savings of her elderly wards by forcing them into retirement homes and taking advantage of the vulnerable suddenly meets her match when the woman she tries to swindle turns out to be more than she first appears.


Yep, as the synopsis says, it's a film about terrible people. It's absolutely a film about elderly abuse and how smart and nasty people work a broken system to their benefit and screw people over left and right. 

It'e definitely all that, while it is also a film about female empowerment because there is something about Marla (Rosmund Pike) that is absolutely revolutionary in the way she is portrayed. And I don't always want to talk about feminist films and all that because I think it's up to each and everyone themselves to decide what they think is empowering to them and not up to me or anyone else to point fingers and be like 'that one is just a mother, she isn't a feminist' that is bullshit. I love Marla, I love this film, while I know it's terrible I do also think the film very obviously points fingers at the broken system in America that allows for this to happen and how in a late state capitalist society a lot of people are assholes and only care about themselves, money and how they can get ahead. 

There is a scene in Marla's office with Dean the asshole lawyer that is just outstanding in terms of acting but also just shows what a boss ass bitch Marla actually is. She doesn't back down, EVER, and I love watching it. I love watching a woman be unafraid in a world where there is a lot to be afraid of. Marla refuses to give in to anyone, I can't help but admire it.

All that, it's not to say that the film doesn't take a standpoint, I feel it does which is probably a good thing even though the ending is a little bit unfortunate because to me it ended up being a little bit tropey, and not in a good way. It's a satire though for most part of its runtime, a dark comedy which makes the tone of the film work perfectly for what it was going for and I was definitely rooting for Marla throughout the film, putting bad guys against even more bad guys is very effective when it is done this way.

And yes Marla has some nasty qualities, at the same time, women get judged all the harsher than men, and there are countless films where men are adored for this kind of behaviour, yes I am looking at you Wolf of Wallstreet (I can't stand the film and some argue it also takes a clear standpoint and judges Jordan Belford, does it though?) but I do think Marla has some fascinating qualities in her arsenal. I do admire how the film doesn't feel overtly sexual in regards to Marla. Like yes obviously she is hot af and her suits are complimentary of her body, but she gets by because she is the smartest woman in the room and most men cannot stand it. I love that it's what pisses the men off the most, that she is so untouchable, that even death threats don't dismay her. I need some of that gusto. 

Also, the fact that she is a lesbian, well she is most likely a lesbian, and her girlfriend in this played by Eiza Gonzales is just RIDICULOUS! Like my god she is attractive, it is UNFAIR. I mean I'm not complaining, I was just a little blown away by it. Their relationship is made no big deal in this film, yes that is refreshing for sure and it's just a part of the plot, beautiful and gives the film a lot of heart, because Fran brings out a different side to Marla. She's still raw and ambitious and want money, but she becomes softer with Fran, and everyone who knows me knows I love soft badass queers that take what they want. It's absolutely my jam.

I feel this is a film I will definitely go back to and rewatch again, because come on now, sometimes it's nice to root for a bad guy, especially when they are as nicely dressed as Marla is.


⭐⭐⭐⭐


For stars in for I care a lot.

2021 has for sure been a terrible film year, my god, look at this little list. By this point I am usually up at at least 20... sad indeed. Ah well, I miss the cinemas, it's where I go to see all new films. There are so many new films too that I haven't seen because of streaming rights and none of them being on any that I use... well well.

Race
To all the boys, always and forever
Moxie



0 kommentarer