911 Lone Star


Anyone else sometimes struggle with everything going on in the world? Is it starting to all feel too much? Has doomscrolling started taking over your life? Yeah honestly, that's often me these days.

But one thing that has worked for me is watching tv shows, yes I know cliches. But what has particularly worked for me is watching the dramatic kind, over the top at times, silly dramas about other people's lives. It needs to be these types of shows, the ones that are easy to digest and aren't too plot heavy and serious because otherwise I will lose my focus and go back to doomscrolling on twitter again. Last summer I found 911 Lone Star. I remember finding it in June because we had a few weeks of overbearing heat where sweat was a constant companion and finding a spot in the house where you could work for a few hours was near impossible. But I found this and binged it in a few days... whoops.

I don't know about you, but I tend to always find my way back to Grey's Anatomy, it's the type of show I would put this in the same category as this, only Lone Star is about firefighters instead and it gives me less hypochondria and a fear of you know everything. Which always becomes the issue with Grey's when I binge it. I watched all of season 16 last February when I was ill for a week, can totally recommend that while also not. Did I have cancer? No, but sometimes I think I might.

This is the sibling show of 911 on FOX which has been on air for longer and has possibly found its style by now. Also it's one of the 100 shows that Ryan Murphy is the creator of, yep I constantly wonder if this man is ever asleep?

911 Lone Star could be call the Rob Low show which is the biggest shame of it all as he gets way too much screentime in my opinion and he's actually the least interesting character of the whole cast. Yep, I said what I said.

That said, this show does have a lot going for itself.

𑁍  Representation all across the spectrum. Gay firefighter, muslim firefighter, trans firefighter, people of colour are main characters. Like it's amazing! And it doesn't feel self indulgent or like it's trying to say 'look at us we are so progressive'. Yep it's beautiful to see.

𑁍 TARLOS. My babies. TK is the son of Owen (Rob Low), a gay firefighter and Carlos is a police officer with parents who immigrated from Mexico. TK + Carlos = Tarlos. I love them so much, and it's so refreshing to actually see a queer couple on screen that has done their coming out already, been accepted by their friends and family and don't have issues that revolve around sexuality. Not that there is anything wrong with coming out stories, but they are almost always intertwined with queer people's storylines on screen and it's always nice to see when the story chooses to focus on other things. TK and Carlos' relationship troubles are all deeply rooted in TK's recent relapse and struggle with substance abuse and fear of commitment and anxiety. So all very relatable and an interesting dynamic to add to their story.

𑁍 Badass female character, yes, yes yes. I wish they got more screentime of course, but there's a lot of potential there to grow and go into more depth of them as season 2 rolls around. Season 2 episode 1 has the introduction of Tommy Vega (awesome name honestly) played by Gina Torres and honestly I am very excited to see her continuous interaction with the team.

𑁍 Found family. Ahhh my favourite trope and one of my favourite things with both 911 on FOX and 911 Lone Star, is that the squad is your family and you take care of them accordingly. 


This isn't a show that's going to go on and win lots of awards, but honestly, does it matter? No, is my very clever answer to that. If it gets me out of my head for 45 minutes and allows me to focus on something else for a while, it does the job. 

That said, the actors playing Carlos and TK are obviously very proud of them and care a lot about them, it's amazing to see, I love it when actors treat their roles with devotion and love. This show also has a dedicated online fandom, also one of my favourite things, and one hell of a fan fic writing community. Yes I wrote a dissertation about that, so fanfiction will always have a special place in my heart.

It's been a while now since I wrote about a show, I do watch them still, just not as regularly as I read books these days though, which is an interesting change of direction in my life

0 kommentarer